- game that I wanted to try because OMG CAT BOYS!!
- 6 character routes
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms fantasy AU
Chouhi -> Chouryou -> Ryuubi (-> Bachou special) -> Kakouton (-> Kakouen special) -> Chouun (-> Enshou special) -> Sousou
At first I only wanted to try the game because Sangokushi with cat boys sounded like a hilariously trashy concept (and also, I love cat boys!). Turns out, it’s p. entertaining and actually quite good! Such a twist! At some points it felt like playing an adventure RPG instead of a (visual) novel. Constructing a three-dimensional feeling by using front & back view of characters and resizing/moving stills to this extent isn’t something I’ve come across that often in otome games. When it comes to the other gameplay elements I’d say it was…interesting. Having stuff like “action” and “timing” did help with the adventurous feeling, but it was used so little that I had to wonder if it really was necessary to have it at all? This goes especially for the timing events, which happened like maybe once a route? By the time I got one, I had already forgotten what button I pressed the last time, resulting in my failure to get the timing right and thus…in death (and it happened more than once…”orz).
For some reason, a couple of common scenes throughout multiple routes were counted as ‘new’ from chapter 5 onwards and thus weren’t skipable with ‘skip read’. And so I had no other choice but to watch the fights and negotiations again. And. Again. Ugh. Aside from that the game’s narration was p. solid (for an otome game, that is). What I personally enjoyed the most about it is how a lot of routes didn’t turn out the way I expected them to. It was a big (and in most cases welcome) surprise to play going “Oh well, from what I’ve seen so far this character’s probably gonna be like this”, only to watch their story unfold in a different direction. The characters & voice cast were amazingly good and the art is very pretty, too. I really wish I could have enjoyed the heroine of the game as much as I enjoyed the male characters, because based solely on looks she’s one of my favorites.
A thing that bothered me was the huge number of NPCs and different fractions to side with throughout the story. I lost track more than once, especially in my first playthrough. To be honest, I still don’t remember everyone’s names and role and for some characters I wonder why they were there in the first place, because they didn’t feel all that necessary to me – at least not important enough to warrant them having their own character sprite and everything. I mean I get it, Sangokushi DOES have a lot of important characters, but did we really need all of them in this adaptation? Then again there’s a sequel and they might become important there…guess I will find out once I get to play it someday.
♡ = favorite character
- half human, half cat
- she has such a cute character design ( ´∀｀)♡ but I had trouble connecting with her on an emotional level – many times she appeared to be just a narrator, not someone who is actively involved with the other characters
- somehow her origins are never explained in any route other than Chouun’s…why?
- I really wanted to like her more
CV: Sawashiro Miyuki
- she’s super strong and everyone fears her; actually a nearly immortal sennyo
- I love her even though she’s a pervert, crazy and hella scary
- mfw the hearts in her eyes every time she sees Kan’u…
- the voice acting is amazing! This character feels so alive!!
- too bad there is no Ryofu route, tbh I’d like to read one (I can’t believe I’m saying this lol)
CV: Sugita Tomokazu
- I didn’t expect a bonus story like this to have its own CG (a kiss even!) and wow it’s looking good, too! Nice!
- his nonstop flirting was very entertaining….sasuga Sugita
- it’s actually kind of sad that he didn’t get a real route. Then again I’m wondering: why was he part of the game again? I mean he’s cute but like…why was he important enough to get a special even though we see him like once in the whole game?
CV: Namikawa Daisuke
- before knowing about this special’s existence I was salty about Ton having a route instead of En since I personally preferred En
- his relationship with Ton is precious & it hurt that they can’t both be happy in Ton’s route. Seeing them smiling and happily holding hands with Kan’u in another reality was really bittersweet and I loved it.
- after realizing just how big Ton’s existence is inside of En, I got kinda annoyed at Kan’u getting between the two in Ton’s route. THIS IS SILLY, I KNOW “orz
- there’s so so many ‘cute En’ moments, like: En fighting w/ a sword in order to be closer to Ton, even though he’s so much better at handling bows. Or En working super hard, so that he’d be able to stay at Sousou’s army together with Ton. Or En relying on Kan’u to wake up early in the mornings to do his practice (and also to get praised by Ton lol)
- seeing En slowly changing his attitude towards Kan’u REALLY made me wish for an actual route to explore that kinda development better/further…En deserves his own route, he really does ;_;
- not sure how to interpret the special. but I REALLY WANT TO BELIEVE THAT HE GOT HIS WELL-DESERVED HAPPY END IN ANOTHER REALITY/TIMELINE ｡ﾟ( ﾟஇ‸இﾟ)ﾟ｡
CV: Hirakawa Daisuke
- I’m so conflicted when it comes to this special, because on the one hand I enjoyed the darker tone a lot, but on the other hand I really hate Enshou very passionately…
- but I love Hirarin for doing such amazing vocal acting!!! It gave me the chills (and I mean that in a good and in a bad way) and seriously HE’S JUST SO GOOD GDI!!!
- I guess my inner S had fun watching Enshou twisting Kan’u into believing the shit he was feeding her; I really like developments like that
(in play order)
Chouhi ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆
CV: Okamoto Nobuhiko
- osananajimi; he’s a cat but he seems more like a puppy IDEK
- I came to like Chouhi even though I’m usually not that much into this type of character. Must be Nobu’s charm!
- basically “OMG let me slap you, you idiot” vs. “WHY IS HE SO CUTE I CAN’T”
- Chouhi devoting his life to Kan’u over some children’s promise that only he cared to remember kinda makes me feel bad for him – especially in all the other routes, because in those Kan’u never regains her memories of their promise
- Kan’u is his number one priority at all times, he cares for her so so much…adorable!
Chouryou(♡) ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆
CV: Yusa Kouji
- played him early on to get him out of the way asap, but ended up falling for him instead, FML!!! This is the kind of ‘doll coming to life’ setting that I like!!!
- I’m totally digging the concept of him learning to understand emotions through Kan’u; Chouryou’s steadily growing attachment to her is sooooo cute, especially since he’s completely clueless as to what is happening to him (and why) /////
- watching him become a better person little by little warmed my heart. Chouryou’s development is precious. ❤
- couldn’t stop laughing when he did his Chouhi imitation
- bad end broke my heart!!!!
- the fantasy elements were a little TOO much for me towards the end, because I didn’t really expect stuff like that to be part of the plot
Ryuubi ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
CV: Ishida Akira
- this route’s Kan’u is just wtf…(and I don’t even necessarily mean the bad end :3c)
- listening to Ishida trying to sound like a 5-year-old was painful…the split personality ‘twist’ is an interesting idea, but I can’t help feeling that it was poorly executed; the pacing was weird and everything happened just way too late
- child Ryuubi is cute, but I can’t see him as anything more than a little brother for Kan’u. Her saying she’s loved him all this time just weirds me out.
- I wish there had been more opportunities to see (and talk to) the real Ryuubi. Him reverting to his childlike self in the end (not referring to appearance but to mental state) was super disappointing! I know there’s a sequel game, but ugh…
- why did Seihei have to die? ;_____;
- I wonder if Ryofu was the sennyo that helped Ryuubi’s ancestor in defeating the youkai, or if she just knows about this story for whatever reason…?
- seeing older Ryuubi for the first time like: what’s Tomoe doing in muh geemu? Also, how come his hair grew when he aged up? And why did it revert back when he shrank? So many questions..:3c
Kakouton ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆
CV: Suzuki Tatsuhisa
- tbh I was kinda afraid I wouldn’t like him, because of his non-stop yelling (which got on my nerves big time), but thankfully he really was just a cute tsundere boy ♡ (˘▽˘)
- clueless and innocent Ton is very cute
- Idk how to feel about getting ‘spoiled’ about his eye through the chapter cover art. I got to see it in ch. 5, even though it only happens like two chapters later…why!? (gotta admit that he looks a lot better with the eye patch though)
- Ton has this bad habit of mumbling when he isn’t yelling (xD), but I didn’t really mind because Tattsun’s low voice did things to my heart
- Idk why I enjoy his banter with Chouhi so much, but I do…
(I ship it)
- ‘last boss’ Enshou…seriously?! The confrontation with Kakouen was this route’s highlight. Why not end it at that instead?
- KAKOUEN!!!!!!!!!!! ;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Chouun ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆
CV: Suzumura Kenichi
- _(┐「ε:)_ イケメンすぎるマジでやばい
- he was constantly hitting on Kan’u in such a nonchalant way without even realizing it, I thought I was gonna die!!!
- I love him when he’s acting true to his feelings; too bad he suddenly starts hiding them after finding out about Kousonsan’s relation to Kan’u (and it happens at such a horrible timing too…like, RIGHT when he’s about to confess and stuff smh)
- I don’t like how old-fashioned he is when it comes to social status and gender roles
- on the other hand I like how dependable and gentlemanly he is and how he always treats not just Kan’u but ALL maos with kindness and respect. He’s like a big brother! They should adopt him into the mao clan!
Sousou(♡) ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
CV: Toriumi Kousuke
- my fucking heart!!!!!
- keeping him for last turned out to be a great idea after all
- bless Torisan’s vocal performance! So good!
- I wasn’t interested in this guy when I started out, but my curiosity grew the more routes I played, it almost turned into an obsession (how very fitting lol)
- the bad end was seriously the scariest and most disturbing thing in the entire game…
- all this time I was joking about the lack of ears in his character art; mfw he’s actually half kitty and cut off his ears ‘___’….W T F d u d e
- loved the relationship dynamics and darker tone of this route. Also, Sousou going from the prideful person that he is to someone who’s practically BEGGING Kan’u to look at (only) him got me real good ヾ(:3ﾉｼヾ)ﾉｼ
- I like Kan’u’s short haircut (even though the events that lead to it are quite sad and painful)
- so…about the good end…Kakouton chasing Chouhi all around the place. I’m just gonna leave it at that ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)